[Gllug] USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon Feb 13 12:18:13 UTC 2006

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, john gennard wrote:

>I cannot get the device to work in either OS. Debian
>messages are not clear to me and I cannot tell which
>USB ports it is referring to. (I also acquired a
>secondhand 56K PCMCIA Modem, and this gave no
>installation problems).

Try posting the messages.

>XP identifies the device as an 'NEC PCI to USB Open
>Host Controller', but will not install drivers, saying
>"An error occurred during the installation of this
>device. The data is invalid".

Sounds like it should be a supported device. The drivers are probably not
working due to them not being WinXP drivers.

>The device has no maker/vendor's name on it, and Cex's
>label calls it a Snetcard - I've no idea what a Snetcard
>is and googling merely refers me to Vietnamese sites.
>
>Lspci in Debian gives me a possible vendor's ID, but
>I can't find old notes telling me how to look up any
>details.

Again, post details of what is output. No-one here can help unless they
have that information!

>         The CD seems strange to me - it is supposed
>to contain v2.3 for Win98SE and For Mac v10.1x and v10.2x,
>but I can find only the Mac drivers and it's not a home
>burned CD, it looks like the Maker/Vendor's own.

>The above is a bit of a 'ramble', but I'm lost and can't
>even find the end of the piece of string. Can anyone help
>me please?

Post the output of:
# dmesg | grep hcd
# lspci | grep USB
# dump_cis

FWIW, I have a PCI based NEC USB 2.0 controller, which works fine. Your
cardbus device probably uses a similar chip.

--
    /"\
    / \
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk