[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 01:24:10 UTC 2006

Rich Walker writes:

>Now, if you could just wean yourself off SCSI/FC and onto PATA/SATA, you
>could put 6 or 8 200GB disks in instead for the same money, and probably
>manage the same speed, as well as having a hot spare for the day
>everything goes south...

I'm unconvinced. I reluctantly migrated from SCSI to PATA a couple of
years ago, when the cost difference just became too great. But my disk
accesses now a) are noticably slower, and b) use more CPU. Oh, and I've
had far more disk failures than I ever had with SCSI.

Perhaps SATA will fix some of that. But PATA is just definitely not
there yet, and I suspect never will be.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk