[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Fri Feb 10 07:32:18 UTC 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006, Tethys murmured woefully:
> I'm unconvinced. I reluctantly migrated from SCSI to PATA a couple of
> years ago, when the cost difference just became too great. But my disk
> accesses now a) are noticably slower, and b) use more CPU.

Well, yes, PATA == IDE-level problems -- although the transport is
closer to SCSI than IDE ever was, it still maintains ATAPI's major
failings.

>                                                            Oh, and I've
> had far more disk failures than I ever had with SCSI.

! I'd expect SCSI and high-end IDE (== PATA) disks to be effectively
identical bar the controller circuitry, these days.

(The only disks I've *ever* had fail have been SCSI, but then since
about 90% of the disks I've ever owned have been SCSI that's perhaps
unsurprising. Of course those disks were also nigh-unreplaceable pieces
of Sun kit...)

> Perhaps SATA will fix some of that. But PATA is just definitely not
> there yet, and I suspect never will be.

It depends what you're doing with your disks. If you're banging on them
mercilessly, well then you're not the IDE target market. (Neither am I.)

(Although said RAID array will span one ATAPI and two SCSI disks, both
two binary orders of magnitude faster and larger than anything I've
ever owned before: such is the march of progress.)

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk