[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 11:26:32 UTC 2006

Bruce Richardson writes:

>What you describe is really a mirror, not a proper backup.  It can be
>part of a backup scheme but it is simply not, in itself, a backup.
>You have no historical archive, you have a one-off copy.

Errr... no. rsync is just a tool. How you use it determines whether
you have a true backup or not. I've used it for weekly full and daily
incremental backups to a remote disk. To me, that's a backup with full
historical archive, and one that's better and more cost effective than
tape.

>Tape is expensive and slow but most of the hard disk solutions I see
>people are talking about are very unsafe. For some reason, most of them
>are not backing up to a fresh removable disk (or set thereof) each run
>and then sending the disks to offsite storage.

It's possible (and indeed, all too easy) to make disk backups unsafe.
But it's also easy enough to get it right. Backing up to removable disk
isn't necessary if the backup is already at a remote site.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk