[Gllug] Emacs macro to do a replace-regexp

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 18 23:32:23 UTC 2006

On Sat 18 Feb, Nix wrote:

> In my case it was mostly down to my belief that antistatic wrist straps
> did a fucking thing. One dead machine later I vow to never touch computer
> hardware without rubber gloves on.

   Rubber gloves can themselves become electrically charged.
   The best method is to avoid wearing clothing and shoes that generate and
retain static electricity, avoid carpets and furnishings that generate
static, (anti-static spray can help with new carpets, but you may need large
quantities), move around slowly, and always earth yourself to the metal
chassis before touching anything else. You can have small but measureable
voltages across different areas of skin, but this rarely causes a problem.
   The front screens of CRT monitors can retain very high voltages for
months after being switched off, so stay well clear.
   A well-used and slightly grubby bench top (slightly conducting), or a
commercial anti-static surface, is probably better than either metal (very
low resistance) or new plastic (insulating).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk