[Gllug] Advice needed on Ubuntu

Simon Perry gllug at si-designs.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 09:42:01 UTC 2006

Richard Kirkham wrote:
> The enthusiasm of GLLUG members about Ubuntu, combined with my wish to
> get a bit more up-to-date, lead me to install Ubuntu v5.04 and I'm very
> glad I did. I now agree it's the best thing since sliced bread. I'm very
> happy with the usability of Gnome.

If you are a KDE fan then Kubuntu might be more up you street. Also are
you sure about your version IIRC 5.10 is latest.
http://www.kubuntu.org/
There are instructions in the FAQ section to tell you how to convert
your gnome based Ubuntu to Kubuntu.

> However, I'd like to get user access to my "local" partition but can't
> because root owns it and won't allow me.

Ubuntu likes you to use "sudo" and your regular user password. You can
either prefix any command you wish to run as root with sudo like so

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
Sudo will then prompt for you password before preceding like so
password:

or if you intend to be doing a lot of work as root and don't want the
extra keystrokes then use "sudo -s" this will prompt you for your
password once and leave you effectively logged in as root.

hth

Simon
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk