[Gllug] just a quick question

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Wed Feb 15 16:55:31 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Dani Pardo wrote:

>> Are there *still* people who will pay for a computer with Solaris on?
>>

>  There are admins that resist to changes (maybe to busy to bother with
>new things). So they are stuck with Suns. When you show them that with
>bash you can use the arrow to go back in command history, they almost
>cry in illusion.

Then they are stupid. Download bash for them from sunfreeware.

>   Others may be forced by their software provider. In my company we
>*still* have an Sparc Classing on production 24/7, running SunOS
>(solaris wasn't even born I think). It's amazing.

You mean SPARCclassic? If ever there was a good advert for SUN hardware,
it was the old lunchbox workstations. If they are still running them 24/7
in production, it's 'cos they do the job in hand. If it ain't broke...

>  But Solaris is OK, specially the new versions. Think it could be
>worse: it could be AIX! It could be OS/400. Have you ever used the
>pseudo-sh that comes with OS/400? What a joke..

Brr, try writing code for AIX. Not so bad with AIX5L, but AIX4 was
horrible, and luckily I just missed AIX3 support at my place. AIX is truly
hideous.

Christian

--
    /"\