[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Ben Whyte ben at whyte-systems.co.uk
Sun Feb 26 15:47:29 UTC 2006

Hi guys

Appreciate all the assistance that anyone can provide.

I have an ABIT IG-80 motherboard, which uses an intel 915 chipset.

When I do an hdparm -t -T /dev/hda I get the following result

/dev/hda:
 Timing cached reads:   3928 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1963.32 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:    8 MB in  3.32 seconds =   2.41 MB/sec

Now the drive is a 200gb, pata drive and when I try and activate DMA using

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda it comes back with

/dev/hda:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
 using_dma    =  0 (off)

I am using the defualt debian kernel 2.6.15.

Any ideas as to why it wont let me activate DMA ?

Ben
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk