[Gllug] Is it possible to buy processors with a particular stepping (for SMP systems)?

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Sat Feb 25 14:05:31 UTC 2006

Richard Jones wrote:
> We've got a system with an AMD processor in it and a spare CPU slot.
> I'm guessing that to populate this second slot we'd need to find an
> identical processor, down to the stepping level.  Is that right?

To be safe, yes.  I've heard of some people running different stepping
levels without problems, but I wouldn't trust it personally.

> Anyway, is it possible to buy these anywhere or do we need to replace
> the old processor as well?

Ebay might be your best bet.

Alternatively, I have two identical opteron 242 processors and I was
thinking of upgrading.  Perhaps you'd like to make me a sensible offer
for them? :)

mart.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk