[OT] [Gllug] Migrating Samba servers between domains - the hard way.

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 21:11:25 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-08 at 20:07 +0000, Matthew Thompson wrote:
> > I'm no samba expert and no very little but I know a samba server
> > can have two names and appear on the network under both names. so
> > can you just add your samba server to both domains and let the
> > samba server run in both domains at the same time.
> > I may be talking rubbish in which case ignore me.
>
> This is something I'm considering but it requires multiple instances
> bound to multiple IP addresses - there's the chance that the Winbind
> daemon will assign different UIDs and lots of frigging with chmod
> will ensue :)

Winbind assigns RIDs algorithmically, which is where problems can creep
in. If you change your Samba setup to backend off LDAP or tdbsam, you
can suck the account information out of your NT domain with "net rpc
vampire". This should retain the same mappings as NT uses, and allow you
to move the domain transparently to a Samba PDC. Of course if you have
this setup with an LDAP backend, there's very little to be gained by
moving to AD any more.

Mike

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk