[OT] [Gllug] Migrating Samba servers between domains - the hard way.

Matthew Thompson matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 21:45:42 UTC 2006

> Winbind assigns RIDs algorithmically, which is where problems can
> creep
> in. If you change your Samba setup to backend off LDAP or tdbsam, you
> can suck the account information out of your NT domain with "net rpc
> vampire". This should retain the same mappings as NT uses, and
> allow you
> to move the domain transparently to a Samba PDC. Of course if you have
> this setup with an LDAP backend, there's very little to be gained by
> moving to AD any more.

Sounds like a lot of hard work for what I need considering we have to
move to AD on Windows 2003 as there's no-one else here who
understands how any of the Linux stuff works. Our internal support
manager is bad enough with a GUI and being dyslexic doesn't help when
you're using text files.

Active directory provides a lot of features that other Microsoft
products tie into and we're a 170 user company with a heavy reliance
on existing Microsoft technologies in the front office side of things
- there really are some areas where Microsoft + Microsoft provides
many fewer problems than Microsft + Something else.

Doesn't stop me wanting to run Linux for some file sharing tasks or
for our backup server. NetBackup on a Linux box beats the pants off
the same setup using Windows

M at t :o)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk