[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 8 17:40:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006, John Hearns wrote:
[dding stuff around]
> The only way this would conceivably work is if you were using the
> Network block device, ie. you were addressing the remote drive over the
> network as if it was a block device   www.drbd.org
> And then only if the disk geometries match.
> I would only use dd to move between partitions if the disk geometry is
> identical.

I can't think of *any* filesystems that care about disk geometries these
days. Perhaps the ancient Amiga AFFS, but nothing a Linux box will be
using. Even the original extfs didn't care about disk geometries.

(I just finished a period of frantic pvmoving onto and off from a
network block device after one disk too many started failing in one
machine at once. It worked wonderfully. If Alasdair Kergon is watching,
thanks, your code saved my bacon! :) )

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk