[Gllug] ping

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 8 17:44:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006, Ryan Cartwright stipulated:
> So they phoned me to complain that I was sending their client viruses
> that were actually legitimate bounces, albeit as a result of a spoofed
> sender.

No mail server on the modern Internet should generate bounces for
unroutable mail. (I'd hope the MessageLabs guy told you as much.)

> [1] The server was running exim 3.2 at the time. I've since moved to
> Exim 4 and through the wonders of ACL we no longer generate bounce
> messages for unrouteable addresses we just reject the message at smtp
> level. Saves a lot of overhead for our server especially as most of
> the unrouteables were for spoofed (and false) addresses on our domain
> used to send viruses from zombies.

s/Saves a lot of overhead for our server/Stops our server being used as
a spam source/

The spammers and malware senders *intentionally* send mail and viruses
to unroutable addresses with the intent of having them bounced to their
real recipients.

--
`... follow the bouncing internment camps.' --- Peter da Silva
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk