[Gllug] UPS & line filtering

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 12:11:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 11:57:11AM +0000, t.clarke wrote:
> I am no electrical expert,  but as far as I am aware all 'commercial' UPSs
> include protection against spikes and bown-outs as well as straight-forward
> loss of supply.  Home UPS design I guess will be somewhat less rugged, given
> the cheap price.   However, I would also guess that severe spikes are much less
> common in a domestic situation than in a commercial one, since the spikes
> (I presume) are generated by large inductive loads being switched on/off nearby.

That is the point - they protect against brown_outs/power_loss, but not all
protect against spikes. I read an article on the subject some time ago that
convinced me that it is not that clear cut and that what a UPS manufacturer
advertises is often not quite true or is overkill (== costs more than needed).

That is why I asked the list - looking for real knowledge/experience.

--
Alain Williams
Parliament Hill Computers Ltd.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>