[Gllug] UPS & line filtering

Anthony Newman anthony.newman at uk.clara.net
Fri Feb 10 11:35:10 UTC 2006

Alain Williams wrote:
> I have just been round to a customer of mine to replace a 13amp fuse ...
> Their lights/... dimmed and all the PCs died, the only one that didn't
> come back was the main Linux server.
>
> They are on a light industrial estate (arc welding kit & stuff is close by).

I'd be surprised if you'd see much in the way of large enough voltage
spikes on the mains as a result of such things, and high voltage events
are unlikely to cause fuse failures. However if there's a lightning
strike, it's always going to be a toss-up whether your surge protector,
computer, or both are destroyed by such an event. I'd guess that the
risk of damage due to a period of reduced voltage is probably greater in
cheap power supplies due to resultant excessive current draw. UPSes are
always good of course, and I can second the use of apcupsd.

Ant
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk