[Gllug] UPS & line filtering

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Fri Feb 10 11:36:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 10:52 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:

> What UPS would you use for protection against this sort of problem ?
APC

> It would be nice if it could talk to the Linux server so that it would
> power off if the supply didn't come back after, say, 1 minute.

Use apcupsd. Included with most distros. http://www.apcupsd.com/
I have configured it on several sites. It does just what you want - runs
a self test every so often, warns when the system goes on to battery and
performs a proper shutdown when there is only (say) five minutes power
left. And passes the 'yank out the mains cable and see what happens'
test with flying colours.

> I notice that shops have power cable extensions (gang of 6 blocks) that claim
> to protect against spikes - any one any experience/knowledge of these ?
In a rack mount, go for PDUs with IEC connectors. Olsen are good.
Don't string up domestic power cable extensions.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk