[Gllug] Is this a silly idea - VOIP telephony with Asterisk?

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 19:58:55 UTC 2006

On 11/02/06, John Winters <john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> I have a slight problem with VOIP telephony and a proposed approach for
> a solution.  I would appreciate anyone telling me if I've got hold of
> completely the wrong end of the stick (in either the problem or the
> solution).
>
> The problem is that I would like to use two separate VoIP phone adapters
> on my home LAN, in separate physical locations.  It seems that both of
> them need my ADSL router to forward UDP packets aimed at certain fixed
> ports to them in order to work.  Obviously the ADSL router can't do
> this.

Hello John,

I am similarly afflicted. I have a Desktop phone registered with
SIPGate connecting on port UDP 5060. This works fine without any
modification on my ADSL router.

I recently bought a wireless handset and I'm trying to connect it to
the same account. I asked SIPGate for help and they instructed me to
change the ports on the second handset to connect to 5062 (This may be
different for your provider)

So far it doesn't work but I am still playing with it.

> My proposed solution is to put Asterisk on my home server and have it do
> all the connecting to the outside world (real VoIP providers), then have
> the phone adapters connect to the Asterisk server.  The Asterisk server
> would do all the routing etc and forward on the calls.  In effect the
> VoIP phone adapters would simply be hardware interfaces (allowing actual
> phones to be connected) for the Asterisk box.

I have this in mind as well - although I'd rather just hang both of my
handsets off of the SIPGate service. If I go for an Asterisk server I
plan on using Asterisk at Home which has some very nice web-based admin
tools thrown in as well as reporting etc

> >From a preliminary read of the Asterisk documentation this seems to be
> feasible.  Am I completely off base - either in identifying the problem,
> or in proposing the solution?

It is very feasible - and I think you are spot on, on both counts

Thanks

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com