[Gllug] Is this a silly idea - VOIP telephony with Asterisk?

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 15:53:09 UTC 2006

John Winters writes:

>The problem is that I would like to use two separate VoIP phone adapters
>on my home LAN, in separate physical locations.  It seems that both of
>them need my ADSL router to forward UDP packets aimed at certain fixed
>ports to them in order to work.  Obviously the ADSL router can't do
>this.

Why is that obvious? If the router can't do it[1], then why not have it
forward the packets to a server somewhere, and have the server forward
them on to the appropriate phone? Unless I'm missing something, I'm not
seeing a need for Asterix. Can't you just do it purely with suitable IP
routing?

Tet

[1] I confess to being a bit lacking in knowledge here. I just use my
    ADSL router as a simple passthrough device. It just sends everything
    through to my firewall, which then redistributes it as appropriate.
    Thus I don't have much of clue about the capabilities of routers...
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk