[Gllug] just a quick question

Dani Pardo dani at enplater.com
Mon Feb 13 08:42:42 UTC 2006

Tethys wrote:
> Ian Northeast writes:
>

>>Perl has been a standard component of AIX for about 7 years and, IIRC,
>>of Solaris for about the same (I don't have any old Solaris
>>installations, it's certainly there in 9). I'd be very surprised if it
>>hasn't been in HP/UX for a similar time.
>

> It depends on how you define "standard". It's not in the core build of
> Solaris, and although it's in one of the optional extra package sets,
> no one in their right mind would do a full install on a production box.

   Depending of what the server is going to do, Perl might be a must.
   A server without Perl is like a Solaris machine with sh. When I
install a new Solaris machine, the first thing I do is install bash.
Again, If the machine is only to run a buch of iptables rules, I can
live without perl/gcc/wathever.

Dani Pardo, dani at enplater.com
Enplater S.A
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk