[Gllug] DD Ext3 Move

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Thu Feb 9 12:42:24 UTC 2006

* Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> [060209 10:54]:

> Jack Bertram writes:
>
> >Agreed - although I wish I could reliably use it on root filesystems.
>
> How so? I've had my root filesystem on LVM for ages without problems.
> The only thing I have left on a normal partition in /boot.

I use EVMS to manage it and there's some known problem with EVMS and the
kernel simultaneously managing devices under /dev, which you need a
kernel patch to solve.  I can't remember the details.  However, I'm
unwilling to use the LVM command-line tools as I do LVM operations
infrequently enough that I need a more intuitive interface.

> >And I tried to upgrade my FC3 installation using a FC4 DVD the other
> >day, only to find out that it couldn't recognise my 4 LVM/LVM2 volume
> >groups (historical pain) so I'm stuck.
>
> Odd. My FC3->FC4 upgrade detected mine just fine (although I think I
> was completely on LVM2 by then).

Ideas welcome.  I suppose it might be EVMS-related as well, but when I
installed FC3 over an EVMS-enabled Ubuntu, FC3 correctly recognised the
underlying LVM/LVM2 volume groups (and I did the EVMS installation over
the top of FC3), so I can't understand where the issue is.  Essentially
I have 6 hard disk drives in the system:

hda -> no LVM, fine

hdf }
hdg } LVM volume group with several logical volumes
hdh }

sda } LVM2 volume group with several logical volumes
sdb }

(Can't find the other volume groups now I look, must be another system).
The LVM and LVM2 logical volume groups are all mounted variously under
/home on the FC3 system.  The FC4 system doesn't detect them, and asks
if I want to reinitialise the partition tables on the disks.  When I say
no, it fails at the next stage and asks to restart the computer.