[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Simon Faulkner simon at titanic.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 08:33:23 UTC 2006

> "If you can't take it with you, it's not a backup".

Nice phrase.  What if 'It's already there'?  eg the MD has an rsync box
in his study at home...

Most of our customers burn to CD/DVD on a friday so they can keep it
under their pillow.

>> MAke sure that one is disconnected most of the time so
>> viruses/rootkits can't take out all your data.  A cheap time switch on
>> a hub or switch will only allow access one night per week - perfect.
>

> Or just use tape.

Rsync has other benefits.  We can make the data available with samba,
read only, to one person (site administrator) so that they can actually
check the data is being backed up wery easily and can recover files very
quickly if they need to.

The problem is that once folks realise that it is easy to recover files
they start to be complacent about how they treat data (keeping 'backups'
in the recycle bin!)

Ironicly, When we sell a Win2K3 server with Exchange (8 to 10K) a £3K
tape system is easy to justify.  When we use a linux server for £1500
and free software customers are far more reluctant to pay £2K for a tape
system.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk