[Gllug] Cant enable DMA

Martin A. Brooks martin at hinterlands.org
Mon Feb 27 08:37:23 UTC 2006

Simon Faulkner wrote:
>> "If you can't take it with you, it's not a backup".
>
> Nice phrase.  What if 'It's already there'?  eg the MD has an rsync box
> in his study at home...

"Backups" on online disk are copies, not backups.  The difference being
that it's actually really quite hard to delete a tape backup by accident.

> Ironicly, When we sell a Win2K3 server with Exchange (8 to 10K) a £3K
> tape system is easy to justify.  When we use a linux server for £1500
> and free software customers are far more reluctant to pay £2K for a tape
> system.

I've found the opposite.  People using free software usually have a
better budget for hardware.  "Don't spend X hundreds of pounds of a copy
of Exchange, buy a tape drive instead."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk