[Gllug] DHCPd problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 16 23:45:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 23:37 +0000, Russell Howe wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 09:47:09PM +0000, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > OK, trying to do this - but how. My dhcpd init script says this (an
> > extract obviously):
> >
> > INTERFACES="eth0"
> >
> > So I don't see why it is binding to ra0 and this worked fine when I had
> > an eth0 and eth1 - it looks like a bug to me, though I confess I am not
> > au fait enough with the Debian/Ubuntu model of these things to be sure.
>
> You're running the daemon directly, bypassing the init script...

You are right that I was doing that as an example and I now know why
that was wrong, but I was only doing that because it delivered the same
error as the start up script and sudo /etc/services dhcpd start failed
in just this way as well.

Strangely (or not - because this is the expected behaviour) sudo dhcpd
eth0 run from cl works fine - I am more convinced than ever there is
some bug in there somewhere - though i admit googling shows nothing.

> Although it would be better for dhcpd to just not be bound to the
> interface in the first place, which you can do by using the init script
> provided by your distribution.

I was/am - and it fails

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk