[Gllug] /etc under version control

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Wed Feb 15 16:45:51 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Nix wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, Rich Walker stipulated:
>> EXT3 journal
>> Database journal
>
>Why bother journalling a ramdisk anyway? It's not as though partial
>writes are even possible.
>
>> Plus they tested it for "read-throughput", comparing it to
>> read-throughput of a 15k RPM hard-drive, one over PCI, the other
>> connected to the mobo chipset.
>
>Duh? It's going to be, well, much faster. Testing RAM for throughput is
>vaguely useful, but *comparing it to a disk*... *why*?

Err, because it's meant as a disk replacement? Seems a fair comparison to
me, though from the description, not a very good application of a RAM
disk. I think a better test would be write throughput, as the others have
said, for a journal for another filesystem on another device.

Christian

--
    /"\
    / \