[Gllug] recommendations for webmail software?

Nick Warrington nick at littleidea.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 22:51:41 UTC 2006

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

>On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 20:08 +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
>

>>On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 07:50:57PM +0000, Benedikt Heinen wrote:
>>

>>>I need to find myself some webmail software for my server, and I'm curious
>>>as to whether anyone here might have some recommendations?
>>>

>>Use Imp - part of horde -- www.horde.org
>>

>Try Squirrelmail - it's nicely packaged for Debian. I've used Imp in the
>past, and disliked it because it has no IMAP support itself - it relies
>no your compiling PHP against the C-client libs, which means you
>generally can't use distribution provided Apache/PHP packages.
>
>Another option, which I've no personal experience with, but I'm
>interested in, is RoundCube. This is an AJAX app with a very nice
>interface, and could be the way to go in future.
>
>Mike

I tinkered with both Imp and Squirrel on my Gentoo box. I had to hack
the source to get Imp to work and ended up a bit disappointed with the
look and feel once i got it working. I tried squirrel too, but finally
settled on Roundcube. Super look and feel and easy to set up. Doesn't
seem to handle big folders too well (like gllug) and I think it's a
little slow (maybe thats the AJAX), but handles my Courier IMAP server
just fine, and looks quite swish. (I believe you can also CSS it to add
your personal touch)

Nick

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk