[Gllug] sony ericsson mobiles & linux

Stuart Children stuart at terminus.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 12:44:25 UTC 2006

Hi all

It's been quite some time since my last mobile upgrade (all these whizzy
new features haven't grabbed my interest sufficiently), but I'm now
required to make a choice because the battery of my old one is on its
last legs, and more importantly I'm intending to change contract (so may
as well take advantage of a free phone).

Anyway, the current Sony Ericssons have taken my fancy, and I'm leaning
towards the K750i:
http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pp1_loader&php=php1_10242&zone=pp&lm=pp1&pid=10242

Whilst I'm happy to hear any comments about the phone in general, I was
particularly interested in how much of it I'll be able to play with from
Linux (for which the supplied software isn't available).

The basics definitely work - the memory card appears as a mass storage
device, so copying files to/from that shouldn't be a problem. It can
also be used as a remote control via Bluetooth (see
http://localhost.ruhr.de/~stefan/k750i/remote.shtml or
http://sourceforge.net/projects/remotej/).

It supports IrMC and OBEX SyncML, so in theory something like MulitSync
should be able to talk to it. However, I can't find anything definitely
supporting the above model. I'm primarily interested in getting
contact/phonebook and calendar data into desktop applications and back
again.

Something I can't find much information on is being able to control
actual phone services from my PC. So for example sending text messages,
or using my computer-connected speakers/mic on a call.

I'd love to hear how other people have got on trying to do these things.
Also of any other hacks that are possible (both in terms of software on
the phone - eg: playing around with the interface), or on the PC (one
idea: controlling the FM radio). Can anyone recommend a useful resource
on learning more about this kind of thing (I guess Bluetooth protocols,
and APIs for the SE phones - tried searching around on their site but
couldn't get anything that detailed)?

TIA

--
Stuart Children