[Gllug] Recommendations for mysql hosting?

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Tue Jan 24 11:09:32 UTC 2006

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:14:46 -0000, Julian Somers <lists at bigpip.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a web hosting provider for a mysql-greedy php web site.
> It's running moodle [www.moodle.org] and gets fairly heavy use. The
> site's previous two homes (a VPS and a virtual hosting provider) were
> plagued by mysql bottlenecks. Any recommendations? I've been considering
> a root server / colo, so that I can optimise mysql for this app, and run
> a php accelerator. Does the list see any advantage in this?

I use oneandone.co.uk who are based in Germany and are ok as long as you
only need hosting and not "support".  Priced about £29 a month.  I've used
them for several years and the network is very reliable.  I had one old
server that wasn't be used much fail and htey weren't great in getting it
back again so I just moved the one site I had onto another server and
closed this account.

Their support tends to be "if you can't fix it then we'll reinstall a base
image for you and start again".

I have also used cwcs.co.uk who are more expensive and have UK based
engineers who know what they are doing.  They have though suffered ongoing
network issues (mainly during the night) and the hdd died a few months
ago.  It took them two days to fix which was worrying as I guess they had
no spares!

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk