[Gllug] Co-lo

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 10 11:12:59 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 10:51:29AM +0000, Richard Jones wrote:

> It's that time of year again ...
>
> What recommendations would gllug people give for a reasonably priced
> co-lo facility where we can host a single 1-U server, with power and
> either unlimited or generous bandwidth?  We would want to provide the
> server hardware.
>
> Rich.
>
> PS. I'm a bit annoyed with Bytemark at the moment because they haven't
> answered our queries, aren't rolling out Xen as fast as they said they
> would, and all the clocks on the machines are out of synch.  Anyone
> else having problems with them?

Xen is an awesome technology, but I can understand why they'd not be
rushing to roll it out. The 2.x series had some non-trivial design
issues - too much responsibility for setting up hardware was given to
the hypervisor, rather than being left up to the Dom-0 operating
system. These are fixed in 3.x series, but the first 'stable' release
of this series took alot longer to bake than people were expecting &
as can be seen to previous Fedora Xen rawhide kernels, there has been
frequent breakage when syncing with upstream kernels.

UML by comparison is a pretty well-known quantity which works reliably
today, albeit with certain limitations (no NPTL threading) & at a
performance disadvantage compared to what Xen will be able to offer. I
think Xen will really stabalize & mature very quickly in the next 3-6
months now that its becoming a mainstream part of Linux distros (eg,
forthcoming FC5 has Xen support upfront in Anaconda) & will be an
awesome base for virtual hosting. Until it reaches this mature state
though I think commercial hosting companies would feel alot more support
pain switching from UML to Xen.

Regards,
Dan.