[Gllug] External hard disks

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Jan 30 02:42:24 UTC 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Mike Brodbelt yowled:
> http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Be warned, a *lot* has changed since then, especially in the areas of
RUN and IMPORT keys, key value addition with +=, clearing with "" and
finalization with :=, the addition of NAME="", the removal of %e and
much else. You'll want to read the udev release notes between 056 and
now.

> BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd*", SYSFS{manufacturer}="Smart Disk",
> SYSFS{idProduct}="0204", SYSFS{idVendor}="0917",
> SYSFS{serial}="DEF1077137D6", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="flashtrax%n"

The NAME may be unnecessary with common distro udev rules, which often
stick USB stuff under somewhere like usb/%k.

> You just have to pull enough uniquely identifying information out of
> sysfs to put in a rule, and then decide where you want it to appear. You
> can also do lots of other cool stuff with udev.

Yep. I've yelled about how great it is both here and on ucol in the
past.

(Seven disks? Ye gods, I thought I was being excessive with four, and
I'm decommissioning the smallest just to cut down the noise...)

--
`I won't make a secret of the fact that your statement/question
 sent a wave of shock and horror through us.' --- David Anderson
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk