[Gllug] zdnet - anti linux

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Mon Jan 9 17:01:21 UTC 2006

On 9/1/2006, "paul" <paul at thinksolution.net> wrote:

>Has anyone noticed the amount of space and time that zdnet.com use in trying
>to rubbish Linux?  some of you guys had a thread which, If I remember
>correctly was about The Guardian being anti Linux.  Does anyone know if zdnet
>is connected to Microsoft, or exactly why it takes such a violent political
>stance against Linux?   Just what is their problem ??

Three reasons:
* Reptiles aren't generally very technical and most wouldn't know how
to use a command-line interface or anything of moderate technical
requirements. (cf Schofield)
* Controversy is cultivated.  It improves sales/readership.  How often
does /. link to an article down on Linux/FLOSS?  Passionate readers are
readers who come back: they want mad-as-hell letter writers and are
provocative precisely to get them.
* Microsoft buys a lot of advertising.  They never used to (because they
didn't need to in order to get column inches), but now they realise
they do need to buy it.

<---- ex- and probably future-reptile

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>