[Gllug] Internet connections

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 19:02:46 UTC 2006

On Fri 13 Jan, John Hearns wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:55 +0000, Chris Bell wrote:
>
> > > Go out of the DLR station via the concrete walkway, and have a look at
> > > the area with the nice ornamental fountains below you.
> > > In this photograph you are looking towards the Thames:
> > > http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/Europe/United_Kingdom/photo78258.htm
>
> This scene is upstream of the Barrier.
> The photographer here is standing at the level of North Woolwich Road,
> looking south. The structure on the horizon is a pavilion in the park,
> on the walkway directly beside the Thames. The top of the grass-covered
> mound is at roughly the same level as the Thames at high tide.

   It is difficult to figure out a sense of scale as concrete can be cast to
any size, but there does not appear to be much of a barrier there. I suppose
they could have rotated the path through 90 degrees so that it was not
damaged by a surge....
   It is a very long time since I went to that area, it was desolate not
long after the docks closed, and we went to a union meeting in an old
building by Connaught Road where dockers used to be checked that they were
physically fit for work.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk