[Gllug] Poster design software

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sun Jan 29 15:09:58 UTC 2006

Alain Williams writes:

>Can you recommend what s/ware I should use ? I would like to:
>
>* Put some images in with the text
>* overlap text with images
>* Put text at greater than pointsize 96 (max OO allows)
>* Have text at interesting orientations (eg 45 degrees)
>* Text to have graduated colours (eg deep red at the top, fading out down each
> letter)
>* Work on a linux box, it would be nice if a M$ version existed so that I coul
>d give others 'source'
>* Generate an output format that I can share with others - another PA member h
>as an A3 printer - I don't

Inkscape will do all of this. You could try scribus, but I've had mixed
results with it. It can be a pain in the arse to use at times. The user
interface could do with some work (and this coming from someone that
actively likes the GIMP user interface). The only area where scribus
wins is in text handling. If you're just doing headlines and display
work, then inkscape is fine. If you have large amounts of prose, then
scribus may be a better bet.

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk