[Gllug] Linux MAPI client

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:19:59 UTC 2006

On 07/01/06, Dennis Furey <fureyd at lsbu.ac.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a Linux based email client compatible with
> microsoft's MAPI protocol (used by outlook and exchange)? I gather
> ximian-connector can do it but I don't need the whole evolution gui
> thing or "groupware" features,

Actually evolution-connector doesn't use MAPI at all.

It works but emulating the calls made by Outlook Web Access clients
and talks to Exchange using HTTP

>  just something to fetch my mail like I
> used to before the admins at LSBU switched to exchange servers. (It
> has to run on a remotely accessed, low spec machine.) I'm also aware
> of Samsung Contact but don't have the budget or the stomach for
> anything proprietary. I know exchange can be configured to support
> IMAP, which would solve everything, but it's out of my hands and the
> admins don't give a toss. I'm not allergic to customizing something if
> necessary.

I don't want to go ahead and say there aren't any for Linux but I've
never seen or heard of a  proper MAPI implementation before. MAPI is
fairly entrenched in Windows as far as I know

Asking the admins to enable IMAP would be the best option or use Evolution.

If you don't like Evolution you could download your mail using
Evolution and the connector to a standard MBOX file and use another
client for the actual reading but you are using 2 mail clients which
sounds a bit... ugly

--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com