[Gllug] Routers

Simon Morris mozrat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:56:32 UTC 2006

On 26/01/06, matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
<matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk> wrote:
> At work we're entering the router age with a network that's now big enough for
> me to justify using one.
>
> Currently got a 2611 in place but it's not quite as fast as I'd like about 6mbps
> max.

Out of interest do you know why you aren't getting the performance you
would like out of the router?

You didn't really describe what the router is doing.... or the kind of
network interfaces you are routing between. Or if you are using access
control on the packets you are routing

Cisco does routing using ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Chips)
modules which are dedicated to routing  - I would be surprised if a
Linux box with similar interfaces would route packets faster.

Thanks
--
~sm
Jabber: mozrat at gmail.com