[Gllug] Routers

matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk matt.thompson at actuality.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 09:31:41 UTC 2006

Quoting Simon Morris <mozrat at gmail.com>:

> Out of interest do you know why you aren't getting the performance you
> would like out of the router?

Because 6Mbps is about all that particular model can do with simple
ethernet to
ethernet routing as far as I am aware.

> You didn't really describe what the router is doing.... or the kind of
> network interfaces you are routing between. Or if you are using access
> control on the packets you are routing

The 2611 is provided with dual ethernet and nothing else. There is no access
control as the network is reasonably small but becoming geographically spread.
It's there as we've got an Ethernet service capped at 10Mb from MCI to
get from
Surrey to London and I decided that it was appropriate to use a routed network
rather than let all and any traffic use the line.

My intention is to restrict the line to the traffic it needs and block out the
broadcast crap from our much larger network in Surrey.

> Cisco does routing using ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Chips)
> modules which are dedicated to routing  - I would be surprised if a
> Linux box with similar interfaces would route packets faster.

Cisco also provide different versions with different rated throughputs to be
able to charge more for them :)

In the 2610 - 2651 range it seems that it's all handled by the MPC860
processor
as diagrammed at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/2600_architecture_23852.html

That page also rates the 2611 at 15kpps max using fast switching.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk