[Gllug] text based rss reader

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Wed Jan 18 12:02:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:38:41AM +0000, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> can anyone recommend a text based RSS client that lets you flag items
> of interest.
>
> Presently I'm using snownews that lets you mark items as unread, so you
> can have 20 items in a feed and leave only the 2 that interest you as
> read. Trouble is that when you reload the feed the new items are
> indistinguishable from the old ones.
>
> I'd like to stay with a text client, if possible.

<rant>
Not really what you want, but I just started using LiFeRea to read
RSS feeds for all my news sites. Its amazing that we used to have
this awesome technology called NNTP with really efficient news readers
(tin, the mutt of NNTP readers) and then along came the web and
all of a sudden I had to switch to using slow loading, horrible UI,
web sites to get my news/forums (thanks /. !). The result - the
first 1-2 hours of every day is spent loading & wading through 20
or so different sites, perhaps reading 10 articles of interest - blog
aggregators just made it even worse giving me more to read though.
Thankfully, I've now discovered the joy of RSS feed readers, with the
ability to distinguish read/unread articles, and pull down the news
on my behalf. I can now get through all my daily news in a reasonable
15 minutes.

Its (almost) like being back using a nice NNTP news reader again....but
not quite - RSS only lets you find the 20 most recent articles for most
sites, where as NNTP would keep messages around much longer, and I can't
easily participate in threads from within my RSS reader, and so on...

Progress eh ?
</rant>

Regards,
Dan.