[Gllug] text based rss reader

Ben Fitzgerald ben_m_f at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 12:55:36 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 12:02:04PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:38:41AM +0000, Ben Fitzgerald wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > can anyone recommend a text based RSS client that lets you flag items
> > of interest.
> >

> <rant>
> Not really what you want, but I just started using LiFeRea to read
> RSS feeds for all my news sites. Its amazing that we used to have
> this awesome technology called NNTP with really efficient news readers
> (tin, the mutt of NNTP readers) and then along came the web and
> all of a sudden I had to switch to using slow loading, horrible UI,
> web sites to get my news/forums (thanks /. !). The result - the
> first 1-2 hours of every day is spent loading & wading through 20
> or so different sites, perhaps reading 10 articles of interest - blog
> aggregators just made it even worse giving me more to read though.
> Thankfully, I've now discovered the joy of RSS feed readers, with the
> ability to distinguish read/unread articles, and pull down the news
> on my behalf. I can now get through all my daily news in a reasonable
> 15 minutes.
>
> Its (almost) like being back using a nice NNTP news reader again....but
> not quite - RSS only lets you find the 20 most recent articles for most
> sites, where as NNTP would keep messages around much longer, and I can't
> easily participate in threads from within my RSS reader, and so on...
>
> Progress eh ?
> </rant>

Hi Dan,

yes, I have checked out liferea. Looks good and I will switch to this if
I have to! Shame to loose the text bit, though.

As for tin, slrn is my weapon of choice. Both are text!

As you say, at least RSS does make life easier vs. all the sites out
there.

Ben.

--
Registered Linux user number 339435