[Gllug] Linux MAPI client

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Sat Jan 7 18:36:56 UTC 2006

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>I'm not sure we should encourage its usage.  I find replying "Please
>resend this information in a non-proprietry format" is effective.

I find that tend to get one of two responses:

1. Huh?
2. Why can't you just use Outlook like everyone else?

Response 1 is by far the most common. As far as they're concerned, they've
just attached a file to the email. They're completely unaware of the fact
that Outlook and/or Exchange has transparently converted the attachment to
TNEF, to make them look like a moron to the rest of the world. Of course,
neither are *valid* responses, but that's how it seems to work 90% of the
time.

On a vaguely related note, I once conconcted a PostScript file that said
"I can't read the MS Word attachment you sent. Please resend in a less
Windows specific format". When I received an email with a Word attachment,
I'd send a reply with the PostScript file attached. That would usually
prompt a reply saying "I couldn't open your attachment", to which I could
then reply "Yes, annoying isn't it?"

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk