[Gllug] Myth TV setup

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri Jan 13 10:31:06 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 08:12 +0000, John Winters wrote:

> You'll fill up 40G pretty quickly - about 30 hours of TV.  OTOH, fitting
> a larger drive is trivial.

At 56 quid a pop for 250gb, not worth doing any less.

> > Any other pitfalls or suggestions?
>
> The documentation for setting up MythTV is pretty poor but the actual
> process isn't as bad as it seems, especially once you've done it once.
> Please ask for guidance if you get stuck.

How have you arranged the topography of the system? The server I take it
is remote and you ssh into it or remote x windows it to something local
where you are sitting? (Never done remote x windows sessions).

What performance level is required? I've a 450mhz, a 700mhz somewhere in
the loft, and an 800mhz box, and might have enough ram to boost one of
those up to 512mb. Cards for big disks can simply be added if a PCI
slotted SATA card gives the performance required with a bit disk.

Or should we lash out on some lower energy cost SATA cards?

How does one get the signal into the TV cards in the server? We've
Freeview here - though the reception is dodgy as we are at extreme range
with hills between us, atmospheric conditions can mean a lot of glitches
and dropouts on the set, and this is with a 16' pole and an amplified
digital aerial. We might have to go for Sky satellite Freeview to get a
decent reliable signal, so how does one get the system to pick up on
broadcasts from digital freeview or satellite converters as well as uhf
terrestrial broadcast? I don't know about that at all.

How do you get it to the sitting room or wherever you watch it? Is there
another computer next to the TV display?

How do you control it from where the entertainment is actually being
watched?

Can stuff be spooled off to more than one TV (say a kids clash over
something)?

Those are the sorts of things I don't know about!
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk