[Gllug] Hardware SCSI RAID

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:34:40 UTC 2006

I'm currenlty trying to replace the software raid on a machine to hardware
SCSI RAID so it would be more suitable for an office server.

Having obtained an Adaptec SCSI raid controller and brought two SCSI disks I
now realise that I don't actually quite know what I'm doing.

Basically, I have a cable with 4 heads/sockets(male) and a terminator, if i
put the two SCSI disks on this and boot up the SCSI/RAID controller detects
the disks. I have changed the jumpers to give the disks different SCSI IDs.
I thought this was working.

However after configuring RAID 1 mirror and rebooting the SCSI card alarm
went off (very loud!) I considered at this point maybe i was meant to format
the disks prior setting up raid (using the scsi/raid controller boot tool)
the formatting took for ever so I pulled the power (after it failed to
complete over night).

Now, when I boot up the disks are recognised but one is recognised at ULtra
160 and the other is marked as READONLY/narrow/async.

It is at this point after 2 days of messing around I realise I don't
actually know what I am doing. help!

Is the controller broken? do I have the wrong type of leeds? do i need to
use the other bus for one disk? have i killed the disk? do i need to mess
around with the jumpers more? why didn't i buy a dell server?

If you have answers to any of the above questions then please help!

Matt.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk