[Gllug] Hardware SCSI RAID

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 14:01:21 UTC 2006

On Wed 18 Jan, Matthew Cooke wrote:

> I'm currenlty trying to replace the software raid on a machine to hardware
> SCSI RAID so it would be more suitable for an office server.
>

> If you have answers to any of the above questions then please help!
>
> Matt.

   Beware of hardware RAID controllers as they may use any, possibly
non-standard, format for the discs, and may also rely on software run by the
main processor rather than an on-board processor, so may not be true
hardware RAID. If the controller dies, there is no guarantee that a
replacement will recognise the data. The only advice I have seen is that it
is often better to stay with software RAID.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk