[Gllug] New IT dept-based sitcom

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Fri Jan 13 11:46:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 01:00 +0000, M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 21:41 +0000, John Winters wrote:
>
> > Having MythTV running on a permanently on server completely changes the
> > way I watch (and record) television.  Instead of hoping there will be
> > something on when I feel like watching (fat chance!) I let the computer
> > hoover up everything which I've told it I might like, and then watch at
> > my convenience.  It's different from scheduling something to record on a
> > VCR.  I don't really care if something is recorded and then I don't
> > watch it because something else will have taken its place.
> >
> That's precisely what I want to do - tho' the reality is that I'd
> probably end up deleting 90% of it.

MythTV will do that for you.  When your allocated space is full it
simply deletes the oldest thing every time it wants to record something
new.

>  At least not in VCR tape hell -
> which means I don't record anything at all.
>
> How does the set up work with regards to getting it all to an actual
> watching zone (i.e. physically to where you park your arse to watch it
> all)?

You need a computer on which to watch, although it needn't be the same
computer which does the recording.

> I've got heaps of old computers in the 500-800mhz class here and large
> capacity disks/sata cards are sooooo cheap nowadays.
>
> Though in the living room/bedroom I'd want something small, very quiet
> and unobtrusive whirring away, which is what I assume you need to pull
> the files off the server stuffed in the loft/spare bedroom etc.

I'm still hunting for that elusive item - a silent box fast enough to
watch TV on.  The 600MHz Mini-ITX system is meant to be good enough for
analogue TV, but it can't quite manage DVB-T.  You get skips in the
audio every 1-2 seconds, which render it useless.  I'm told there's now
a 1 GHz fanless Mini-ITX, but I'm reluctant to spend any more until I
*know* it will work.

Currently I have a Celeron-based box in my sitting room in a Silent-I
case.  It's quiet, but not quite quiet enough.  The CPU is cooled by a
heatpipe arrangement leading to a single fan which also cools the PSU.
It's a lot quieter than most PCs, but not really quiet enough to justify
its name.

All the really thoroughly silent boxes are too expensive to contemplate
at the moment.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk