[Gllug] New IT dept-based sitcom

M.Blackmore mblackmore at oxlug.org
Fri Jan 13 01:00:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 21:41 +0000, John Winters wrote:

> Having MythTV running on a permanently on server completely changes the
> way I watch (and record) television.  Instead of hoping there will be
> something on when I feel like watching (fat chance!) I let the computer
> hoover up everything which I've told it I might like, and then watch at
> my convenience.  It's different from scheduling something to record on a
> VCR.  I don't really care if something is recorded and then I don't
> watch it because something else will have taken its place.

That's precisely what I want to do - tho' the reality is that I'd
probably end up deleting 90% of it. At least not in VCR tape hell -
which means I don't record anything at all.

How does the set up work with regards to getting it all to an actual
watching zone (i.e. physically to where you park your arse to watch it
all)?

I've got heaps of old computers in the 500-800mhz class here and large
capacity disks/sata cards are sooooo cheap nowadays.

Though in the living room/bedroom I'd want something small, very quiet
and unobtrusive whirring away, which is what I assume you need to pull
the files off the server stuffed in the loft/spare bedroom etc.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk