[Gllug] laptop & data projector

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jan 24 08:59:54 UTC 2006

I have a laptop that I occasionally plug into various data projectors
when I teach various courses.

Recently I have had problems in getting the projector to show anything.
I did think that it was that, somehow, the projector could not cope with
the frequency/... that the laptop was generating. I noticed that having
the projector switched on & plugged in to the laptop when the laptop was
booting gave me a greater chance of success.

I looked at the X config, I can't see anything that might change things.

A couple of weeks ago someone suggested playing with dual head mode (something
that I had not noticed before), I succeeded in gettng something displayed,
but it was a different desktop than was being displayed on the laptop screen;
this made it awkward since I needed to look backwards to see what was being
displayed.

Some projectors I never had any problem.

I can always project the bios boot messages and the standard linux consoles.

I have had the same laptop for several years, so it is not a hardware issue.

I am running fedora 4, I keep it updated - which means that what I have always
changes as the fedora people remove/add bugs.

Question: Anyone know how I can get it to display the same image on the screen
and on the data projector ?

TIA

--
Alain Williams