[Gllug] laptop & data projector

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 24 11:16:11 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 08:59:54AM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> I looked at the X config, I can't see anything that might change things.
>
> A couple of weeks ago someone suggested playing with dual head mode (something
> that I had not noticed before), I succeeded in gettng something displayed,
> but it was a different desktop than was being displayed on the laptop screen;
> this made it awkward since I needed to look backwards to see what was being
> displayed.
>
> Some projectors I never had any problem.
>
> I can always project the bios boot messages and the standard linux consoles.

For most laptops I've used with projectors, when in the 'simple' text console
graphics mode, the graphics adapter will automatically clone the display to the
VGA port as well as the laptop screen. On my IBM x31 there is a special 'Fn+F7'
key you can press to cycle between laptop only, VGA port only, or laptop+VGA port
cloned.

> I am running fedora 4, I keep it updated - which means that what I have always
> changes as the fedora people remove/add bugs.

So, what I said above used to apply when under X too, however since I upgraded
from my old RHEL distro with XFree86 to new FC4 with x.org I have totally different
behaviour. If sometime is plugged into the VGA port when X starts up the display
is automatically shown on the external device & the laptop screen blanked - even
pressing Fn+F7 won't cycle between them. To get different behaviour there are
about 5 custom x.org settings for the radeon graphics driver that give me laptop
only, vga only, laptop+vga cloned, laptop+vga with xinerama, laptop+vga merged
but not xinerama, laptop+vga merged with psuedo-xinerma. Nice & simple huh ?

Still not figured out how to just get the Fn+F7 keys working again to cycle between
different settings :-(

> Question: Anyone know how I can get it to display the same image on the screen
> and on the data projector ?

So in summary, this is almost certainly dependant on the type of graphics
card in your laptop & what x.org driver you're using for it. Any idea what
it is ?

Regards
Dan.