[Gllug] laptop & data projector

Daniel P. Berrange dan at berrange.com
Tue Jan 24 12:31:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 12:15:47PM +0000, Alain Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:16:11AM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > So, what I said above used to apply when under X too, however since I upgraded
> > from my old RHEL distro with XFree86 to new FC4 with x.org I have totally different
> > behaviour. If sometime is plugged into the VGA port when X starts up the display
> > is automatically shown on the external device & the laptop screen blanked - even
> > pressing Fn+F7 won't cycle between them. To get different behaviour there are
> > about 5 custom x.org settings for the radeon graphics driver that give me laptop
> > only, vga only, laptop+vga cloned, laptop+vga with xinerama, laptop+vga merged
> > but not xinerama, laptop+vga merged with psuedo-xinerma. Nice & simple huh ?
>
> Any idea where those might be documented ?

In the manpages for the driver - 'man 4 radeon' - however they're totally specific
to radeon driver so probably not all that much help to you.

> > So in summary, this is almost certainly dependant on the type of graphics
> > card in your laptop & what x.org driver you're using for it. Any idea what
> > it is ?
>
> VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 630/730 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter (rev 31)

THe 'man 4 sis'  manual page has a link to this site which contains alot of useful
info about the SIS driver & cloned/dualhead/xinerama modes :

  http://www.winischhofer.at/linuxsispart1.shtml#13

In particular an 'sisctl' gui tool for configuring the different modes of operation
which might be handy for you.

Regards,
Dan.