[Gllug] 'net access from hotels in the USA

John Winters john at sinodun.org.uk
Tue Jan 24 12:20:00 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 12:06 +0000, David Damerell wrote:
> On Monday, 23 Jan 2006, John Winters wrote:
> >My wife's sister is proposing to cycle across the USA from coast to
> >coast (again!) next summer.  The last time she did it she took a laptop
> >with her and e-mailed her dispatches with the aid of a modem and hotel
> >telephone lines.
> >She's been assured by a colleague that this won't be necessary this time
> >because "all American hotels have wireless LAN access".
>
> The very mention of the word "Cornwall" reminds me what a pain heavy
> stuff is on a long bicycle tour, but I really cannot imagine that, if
> you're bringing a laptop, a PCMCIA modem and cable represents a
> significant additional burden.
>
> That said, wireless certainly is extremely common in US hotels.

Weight is not an issue - she's doing it with a group and they have a
large van to move their luggage from hotel to hotel.

The issue is that she is not of a technical bent, and where you and I
can manage with some tweezers, match-sticks and wire, she would much
prefer a solution which required no action on her part.

John

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk