[Gllug] Co-lo

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Jan 11 12:35:36 UTC 2006

On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Daniel P. Berrange mused:
> UML by comparison is a pretty well-known quantity which works reliably
> today, albeit with certain limitations (no NPTL threading) & at a

You'll be able to wave goodbye to that limitation very soon. (With
<http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/work/current/2.6/2.6.15/patches/uml-add-tls-support>
and <http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/work/current/2.6/2.6.15/patches/uml-tls-support-sc-tables>,
it nearly works, there are just a few niggles left.)

> performance disadvantage compared to what Xen will be able to offer. I

Well, the UML is slower and the rest of the system is faster. If your
box is doing nothing but hosting scads of virtual machines, Xen is
probably preferable: if hosting them is only part of its job, then you
might want to go for UML.

--
`I must caution that dipping fingers into molten lead
 presents several serious dangers.' --- Jearl Walker
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk