[Gllug] Open Rights Group accepting money, at last ...

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Jan 16 21:42:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:25:28PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> * @ 16/01/06 07:40:24 PM rich at annexia.org wrote:
> >
> > With the EU Commission trying again for software patenting, now is a
> > good time to send money to the Open Rights Group:
>
> Sadly it's not all that open. See http://skimmed.cream.org/?p=13 for a
> more, er, satirical viewpoint.

Hmm.  I read these mumblings as far as:

  What destroyed the Temperance Movement?

  "The reasoned debates, pamphlets and lobbying against it, or its
  achievement of Prohibition, which ludicrous overreaching achieved what
  decades of petty lobbying could not"

  We need to encourage the development of the equivalent of Prohibition
  in the digital realm. We need to encourage Them to overplay their
  hand. They must be sung by we sweet sirens finally into the newly
  exposed rocks of public opinion.

If they're being serious (it's rather hard to tell because their prose
is turgid), then this is a very stupid argument - just look at the 70+
year "War" on (Some) Drugs to see that a War on Copying could go on
forever and result in many unfortunate consequences.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, CTO Merjis Ltd.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk