[Gllug] Open Rights Group accepting money, at last ...

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Mon Jan 16 21:25:55 UTC 2006

* @ 16/01/06 09:42:09 PM rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 07:25:28PM +0000, SteveC wrote:
> > * @ 16/01/06 07:40:24 PM rich at annexia.org wrote:
> > >
> > > With the EU Commission trying again for software patenting, now is a
> > > good time to send money to the Open Rights Group:
> >
> > Sadly it's not all that open. See http://skimmed.cream.org/?p=13 for a
> > more, er, satirical viewpoint.
>
> Hmm.  I read these mumblings as far as:
>
>   What destroyed the Temperance Movement?
>
>   "The reasoned debates, pamphlets and lobbying against it, or its
>   achievement of Prohibition, which ludicrous overreaching achieved what
>   decades of petty lobbying could not"
>
>   We need to encourage the development of the equivalent of Prohibition
>   in the digital realm. We need to encourage Them to overplay their
>   hand. They must be sung by we sweet sirens finally into the newly
>   exposed rocks of public opinion.
>
> If they're being serious (it's rather hard to tell because their prose
> is turgid), then this is a very stupid argument - just look at the 70+
> year "War" on (Some) Drugs to see that a War on Copying could go on
> forever and result in many unfortunate consequences.

Well... there are multiple things in there but the point I agree with is
that it isn't Open. It was supposed to be a member led organisation (you
can even find the quotes saying so but you have to look hard) in
funding, direction, voting on who ran it and so on. Instead it's member
led in funding only. The point being we already have lots of similar
organisations.

have fun,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk